Online Fundraising with Power: 10 Best Practices for DonateAnywhere
The angels are singing: You’ve set up your DonateAnywhere widget, and your donors can now experience the complete giving process on your website without ever leaving — you keep them on your page, where the inspiration first began.
But wait: How can you maximize your fundraiser’s power?
We took a look at all of the best DonateAnywhere fundraisers and identified 10 principles that the most effective fundraisers follow:
- Make your story personal, short, and sweet. This helps even the most easily-distracted, click-happy site visitors like me to quickly connect with you and your cause.
- Create a short headline. If the headline is too long the text does bleeds outside the box.
- Include a summary that creates urgency, promotes a tangible goal, and compels people to give.
- Create 3-5 donation levels, and include a tangible, practical impact description beside each suggested donation. For example, “$50 provides 5 meals for clients.”
- Sequence your suggested donation amounts from high to low level, top to bottom
- To upload a thumbnail, make sure the file is a JPEG or GIF that is 215 x 250 pixels in dimension
- Appearances matter. Your page will look best if you upload an image (Under “Edit Page”) that is 550 x 415 pixels in size. Better yet, you can upload a YouTube video to give your page some bling.
- If you are an Administrator and created a PROJECT PAGE for the non-profit organization you work for (*It should say “A project of THE NAME OF YOUR ORGANIZATION” at the top of the page), you can also upload a logo that brands your pages. Simply log into your account with administrative privileges, select “My NPO” from the top right-hand corner, and then click on “NPO Details” to upload your organization’s logo. Note that you must upload a logo that is square in shape and 120 x 120 pixels in size.
- Think BBR: Set a fundraising goal that is Big But Realistic!
- Set an end-date for your fundraising campaign that gives your site visitors a sense of urgency to get movin’ and shakin’.
Now you are truly ready to DonateAnywhere!
Photo credit: Flickr/SashaW